Wednesday 4 July 2012

NATIONAL YEAR OF READING - 2012





This year is the National Year of Reading and each month there is a theme for suggested reading. We will be running some great activities and events in the La Valla library so keep an eye on the student bulletin and displays around the library to see how you can get involved. Have fun reading!

MONTHLY THEMES:

WHAT IS READING IS:

  • devouring a book cover to cover, and then starting at the beginning again
  • poring through each recipe, and the stories in between
  • exploring the repair manual so you can fix your car
  • discovering the story in the game so you understand the game
  • watching the episodic movie breaks between one game level and the next to experience the story
  • tweets
  • blogs
  • signs
  • information to get stuff done
  • information for fun
  • in any format any time
  • facts and figures
  • lifesaving or death defying
  • therapeutic
  • relaxing
  • searching flickr images
  • flicking through pages just reading a few words
  • watching the faces in the crowd as an author/storyteller engages the audience in their story
  • reading in games
reading can be:
  • fun, sad, traumatic, confusing, fast, slow, episodic, continual
  • collaborative
  • participatory
  • exclusive
  • inclusive
All reading is reading no matter the format.  Don’t be textist about format, or length of work, or context of reading.
Settlers of Catan
Reading has made me who I am. To read is to learn and grow, to experience, to empathise, to understand, to marvel, to wonder, to laugh and to cry. To live other lives in other places and times, to deepen a connection with place. Reading is immensely important to me. It shapes my personality and identity as do all experiences. I am a fuller, more rounded person because I read. I am able to imagine and empathise with others. I learn things that help me in my daily life and I experience joy, sorrow and relaxation when I read.
I’m reading when I check my email, I’m reading while I download songs, I’m reading when I sort my bills from the ones I must pay now to the ones that can wait a little longer. The act of reading is an everyday activity. The act of taking time out to read the story behind the recipe, the description of the engine space, the context of the game (eg, in Alan Wake you collect manuscript pages and reading them enhances the context of the game, and may also provide hints as to what may be coming up shortly in the game-play).
I read while I’m driving, not just  street signs and maps but also the behaviour of the cars/drivers around me – are they going to pass or not? I’m also reading fuel gauges and speedos to provide added context to my driving.
Reading isn’t just about escaping into a world of fiction -  it’s also about providing context to our environment – both real and imagined (whilst driving and whilst playing games).
The National Year of Reading in 2012 is an opportunity for an active campaign to promote reading in all its many forms and expressions but also validate the act of reading (whether it be sitting on the beach relaxing or driving through city traffic) as an integral element of society.
You might read paper, you might read on a screen (computer, e-book reader, tablet, phone), you might read in lots of other formats as well.
CLICK HERE TO SEE PREVIOUS THEMES
  
CLICK HERE TO GO TO THE OFFICIAL NYR12 SITE
WHO ARE THE EMBASSADORS?
LOVE2READ BLOG

Sometimes we don't have the book you want to read so why don't you check the Goldfields Library to see if they have it. They also run lots of events and workshops that may be of interest to you. Visit their website or visit them in person, membership is free.

WHERE IS YOUR FAVOURITE PLACE TO READ? 



  







No comments:

Post a Comment